Close this search box.

Lunor AG

Lunor is known around the world for its glasses frames and sunglasses. Operated as a family company, Lunor produces 90 per cent of these in Germany and the remaining 10 per cent in Japan. The company’s commitment to climate action is clearly demonstrated by its headquarters in the Black Forest, which are self-sufficient in terms of energy: here, it generates electricity from its own photovoltaic facility, uses geothermal energy to power its air conditioning, and the company’s car park is equipped with charging pillars for electric vehicles. Sustainability is also a benchmark for its products: after analysing its supply chain, Lunor instigated a number of measures to reduce emissions, waste and usage of raw materials. For example, the company’s packaging now uses absolutely no plastic. Lunor offsets all remaining emissions so as to operate in a climate-neutral manner.


The Project

Solar electricity in India

This certified Gold Standard project would not have been realised without the funds received from emissions offsetting: in the northern Indian state of Rajasthan, clean electricity is generated by photovoltaic technology, avoiding almost 700,000 tonnes per year of greenhouse gas emissions. At the same time, the project creates job and training opportunities on site for ten people through set-up and operational work, while also contributing to improving the local infrastructure by building roads, for example. It also fills a gap in the state’s electricity supply, reduces dependence on fossil fuels and thereby supports economic development. In addition, the facility is a role model and an incentive for local companies to participate in similar projects.


The project supports the following United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):

Tonnes of emissions offset through the project:


Offset benefit 2020

In 2020, Lunor offset all of its greenhouse gas emissions, amounting to 660 tonnes in total. Lunor only offsets through high-quality, verified projects that are certified Gold Standard, for example.

“The certified Gold Standard project fills a gap in the state’s electricity supply, reduces dependence on fossil fuels and thereby supports economic development.”

Tonnes of emissions offset by Lunor AG in 2020:


Photo credits: Kyocera, MHSKYPIXEL, myclimate, Fairtrade/Anand Parmar, FORLIANCE, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim Fußball-Spielbetriebs GmbH